Common Misconceptions About Replacement Windows
Homeowners have hundreds of misconceptions about replacement windows. Below, we have outlined the top four misconceptions that typically keep people from enjoying the benefits of new windows. These include:
1. U-Value is the MOST important factor when determining the energy efficiency of windows: First of all, let’s explain what U-value is. It is defined as the measurement of the amount of heat transfer through the window. So, the lower the U-value, the less heat that will be transferred through the window.
While U-value is an important factor for determining window energy efficiency, it is still only one of many factors to consider. Others include:
• Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC)
• Visible light transmittance
• The climate you live
• And more!
2. Vinyl Windows are the only way to go: Wrong again. While vinyl remains the most popular material for replacement window frames, there are still other very capable options out there. These options include:
• Clad/wood windows: These windows have a clad exterior, usually vinyl or aluminum that protect the windows from the elements, and a wood interior to keep with the look of your existing windows.
• Fiberglass: With thermal properties similar to wood – the best insulator available – fiberglass is also stronger than both vinyl and aluminum.
3.Replacement Windows require extensive home renovations: Most window installations can be completed within two days without ever disturbing the existing structure of the home.
4. Anyone can install a new window: This is probably the biggest misconception most homeowners have about replacement windows. Installing windows is an acquired skill that should be left to the professionals. Remember, you will only benefit from the energy efficiency of a replacement window if it is installed correctly.
If you have any questions about Replacement Windows or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website!
With a new showroom in Annapolis, Maryland, we can provide top-quality products and service to our valued customers. We offer a vast array of custom window and door options that give a stylish, sophisticated look to any residential home or commercial building. Whether you are a homeowner, architect, or builder, you can trust our professional and knowledgeable staff to answer any questions about use, design, and materials of any items that we carry. Our product offerings include the most trusted names in window and doors including Jeld-Wen, Norwood, Belisle, and Atlantic Shutters. We base our business on the principles of courtesy, quality and service as well as a solid knowledge of our products.