Performing a Historic Home Renovation & the Importance of the Right Windows
If you thought your home renovation was challenging, historic home renovations can be downright difficult. Not only does everything have to look good, but it all must be identical to the materials and styles used in the specific period in time. Luckily, the home remodeling and restoration experts at Architectural Window Supply have put together a step-by-step guide to help you through the entire process.
Tips for Performing a Historic Home Renovation
1. Do your Historical Research: When was the home originally built? What was the architectural style used? What types of windows and doors were used? These are just a few of the many questions you will need to answer before even beginning to think about your historic home renovation.
2. Check Local and Federal Laws and the National Register of Historic Places: Each and every state has its own Historic Preservation Office (HPO). The HPO will be able to help you with research, compliance with local building codes, Historic Preservation Laws, and more! Also, don’t forget to check to see if the home is on the National Register of Historic Places. If it is, you will need to follow strict federal regulations about preservation and maintenance. Luckily, you may also be eligible for tax credits and other benefits.
3. Hire the Right Contractor: If possible, choose a renovation contractor with experience in historic renovations.
4. Search for Funding: Historic renovations can be costly. Because of this, it is a good time to look for funding. You may qualify for a grant or a special mortgage loan.
5. Pay Attention to Details: When it comes to historical renovations, the tiniest details mean everything. It is important to try to match everything to the correct period, including the windows and doors!
6. Choose JELD-WEN: Matching windows and doors to your architectural style can be one of the most challenging aspects of your restoration. Luckily, JELD-WEN has a wide variety of window and door choices to complement any architectural style.
Additional Benefits of JELD-WEN Windows and Doors
1. Energy Efficiency: Many historic buildings were built with inefficient, single-pane windows. Upgrading to modern windows and doors can greatly improve the energy efficiency of your historic home.
2. Aesthetic Appeal: JELD-WEN windows and doors add aesthetic appeal to homes both new and old!
Choose Architectural Window Supply for all of your Door and Window Needs
Architectural Window Supply has a relationship with suppliers across the country, from Jeld-Wen and Belisle to Norwood. This means ordering and delivery are a snap and can be crossed off your to-do list.
If you have any further questions about Historic Renovations and Windows or if you wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website!
The window experts at Architectural Window Supply will show you the many options available from our numerous suppliers, including JELD-WEN, and will help point you in the right direction.
Source: Historic Renovation