Reducing Accidental Window Falls with JELD-WEN Windows
Shockingly, nearly 100,000 children were rushed to the emergency room to be treated for injuries sustained from window falls between 1990 and 2008. To help ensure this does not happen in your home, The Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends several architectural design measures, including:
- The use of devices to secure or restrict windows’ openings
- Limiting access to windows by young children
- Addressing landing surfaces below windows
Meanwhile, in 2006, the International Residential Code instituted a minimum sill height of 24 inches for openings that are more than 72 inches above outside grade. However, minimum sill heights do not address situational risks. Because of this, the code has since been modified to include the use of a window opening control device (WOCD) that meets the ASTM F2090 standard entitled “Standard Specification for Window Fall Prevention Devices with Emergency Escape (Egress) Release Mechanisms.”
ASTM F2090 establishes requirements for devices intended to address the risk of injury and death associated with accidental falls through open windows by children five years old and younger.
Window Opening Control Device Requirements
- The device must automatically limit the distance a sash opens so a four-inch rigid sphere cannot pass through.
- The limiter must have the ability to be deliberately disengaged so the sash can be fully opened for egress.
- To prevent inadvertent override, it requires one dual-action motion or two independent motions to disengage.
- The WOCD must automatically reset itself upon closure.
- The WOCD must not require a tool, key or special knowledge to operate.
- The WOCD cannot require more than 15 pounds of force.
JELD-WEN Products with Factory-Installed WOCD Options that meet ASTM F2090 Standards
JELD-WEN offers factory-installed WOCD options on several of its product lines, including:
- Custom Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Siteline EX Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Tradition Plus Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- W-2500 Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Premium Vinyl Casement
- Premium Vinyl Sliding
- Premium Atlantic Vinyl Casement
Architectural Window Supply: Your Maryland JELD-WEN Window Supplier
Architectural Window Supply is an official dealer for such leading brand names of upscale windows as Norwood, Belisle, and, of course Jeld-Wen. This relationship with our dealers makes it easy for us to get the model and make that you want.
Of course, not even the best window can prevent all falls. This is why it is important to adhere to the following tips from JELD-WEN:
- Teach children not to play near windows
- Be sure to close and lock windows when children are around
- Screens are not designed to prevent falls
- Keep furniture, or anything else a child can climb, away from windows
- Open only windows that children cannot reach
If you have any further questions about Reducing Accidental Window Falls with JELD-WEN Windows or if you wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website!
Reducing Accidental Window Falls JELD-WEN