Window Safety Checklist
- In the event of an emergency, such as a fire, windows provide a crucial escape route.
- Window safety also includes fall prevention. Between 1990 and 2008 nearly 100,000 children were rushed to the emergency room to be treated for injuries sustained from window falls.
- Close and lock your windows at all times, especially if you have young children. If you do open windows for ventilation, make sure to only open windows children cannot reach.
- Avoid placing furniture directly below windows. This simply allows a child to more easily access the window.
- Do not depend on screens to prevent falls. Screens are designed to prevent insects from coming in, not from keeping children from falling out.
- Finally, teach your children proper window safety.
Window Safety Checklist
JELD-WEN Window Opening Control Devices (WOCD)
JELD-WEN, a member of the National Safety Council’s Window Safety Task Force, has recently expanded its WOCD offerings to include more styles and windows. Now, JELD-WEN offers factory-installed WOCD options on the following products:
- Custom Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Siteline EX Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Tradition Plus Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- W-2500 Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Premium Vinyl Casement
- Premium Vinyl Sliding
- Premium Atlantic Vinyl Casement
The WOCD gives homeowners the ability to automatically control the window opening to help prevent accidental falls and to meet egress codes that require windows to meet safety standards for providing emergency exits in certain rooms, such as bedrooms.
Looking for a JELD-WEN Dealer in your Area?
JELD-WEN windows are sold globally through multiple distribution channels, including retail home centers, wholesale distributors, and building products dealers, such as Architectural Window Supply. And for the past 20 years, we have been the go-to choice for homeowners, builders, and architects who need personalized, knowledgeable service. Everything we sell is offered at affordable prices that include measuring, ordering, and delivery right to the home. And our experienced, knowledgeable staff can help you select the right windows, including the right safety options.
If you have any questions about Window Safety, or wish to schedule a free consultation, please contact Architectural Window Supply by calling 410-266-5254 or visit our website! You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter as well!